Current Location: Chillicothe, Ohio

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

IDUKAYPERU- Callao

I have moved!!! I am living in Callao.. a different part of Lima with IdukayPERU. A volunteer organization- NGO. And I LOVE IT! So basically over the past 9 years they have developed a program for children in one of the poorest area s of Lima. They have a small house/ school called the Casita... small house. There are 3 classrooms, a library, kitchen, and a clinic. All are about the small of 1 small room with a common opened area in the middle!

So far a have gone there a few times. Once in the afternoon to wash the the childrens hair. This consists of having one kid at a time lean their head over a bucket while I pour water in their hair from a larger bucket. They I wash with shampoo, brush, fine comb- because of the lice buggies, and lastly add vinegar- its suppose to kill the buggies! Some of the lice buggies are pretty big about ---- that big! Yeah!! Jenny Payne would love it here!! Haha! I like doing the little boys hair because most of them have shaved heads and its easy to brush!! After they get their hair washed all the kids get lunch!We wash their hair twice a week and every evening 3-6ish we have an afterschool program. The children are divided into 3 classes by age and I currently have the pequeños... ages 3-8! And they are FULL of energy! Yesterday was math day so some are learing the numbers and how to write them while others on doing simple addition problems! I can successfully teach this kind of math! haha! Alex... the founder of the organization came and had a puppet show for the children in my class and they LOVE it and him!! A lot of times there is a nurse volunteer here, but right now there is not... so that puts me as closest to medical type skills! So far I have cleaned and bandaged a little boys arm that was scraped up pretty bad and clean a nose sore!

At the house... its great! Over the past few years Alex and his family have continued to build on to their house to allow all the volunteers to live here as they come throughout the year. Now its huge four story house with 8 or more small rooms.. most of which have bunk-beds. I here in the summer they have up to 18 volunteers living here.. in addition to the family members! Wow! Now there are about... 3 of us from the US and 1 or 2 from Spain.. 2 just left yesterday!

My favorite part is the meals. Not only because they is always someone to cook you a wonderful meal... its the TABLE! We have 1 big table that everyone sits at together to eat every meal! Breakfast, lunch and dinner with 12-18 other people! All my girls at home know I don´t like being alone.... so yo understand why I love being surounded with people at every meal! I can pretty understand all conversations in Spanish now..... but 2nd dinner here the people from Peru and Spain got into a big debate about how the corruption here and in Spain... with 8 people all talking in spanish at the same time... well I only got the key points!! haha!!

No comments:

Post a Comment